These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Garrett Kaneshiro was recently hired as the director of food and beverage for the Stella Hotel in Bryan, Texas.
1. What are you looking forward to in your new role as the director of food and beverage for The Stella Hotel? Bringing a restaurant to life is more than feeding a guest or pouring a glass of wine. It’s about the passion that crafts that cocktail or grills that steak, the genuine smile that welcomes you in the morning for a cup of coffee, that’s what it’s all about. Being part of the team that brings this to life is what I look forward to most of all.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role? I’ve been lucky enough to be around some incredibly talented people that taught me the foundations of hospitality. Every role has unique challenges, but the fundamentals of hospitality are the same.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the hotel for this year and further down the line? To create an experience for our guest that they did not know they wanted. Genuine service that motivates our guest to try something different: fresh food that is innovative, yet familiar. A glass of wine that makes you want to travel. A cocktail that you share with friends.
4. How did you get into the industry? I remember my first shift ever in a restaurant as a busboy—the energy, excitement, people… I was hooked! On the other side of things, I love food, even as a kid I remember helping my parents cook dinner.
5. What do you enjoy most about the hospitality industry? What is there not to like! Be around people that want to be happy…and a great meal with great service in a beautiful setting is a step in the right direction.