These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to email@example.com.
Rick Bertram was recently appointed to the board of directors at Meet Minneapolis.
1. What are you looking forward to in your new role on the Board of Directors for Meet Minneapolis Convention and Visitors Association?
I’m looking forward to the opportunity to serve and collaborate with the association. The chance to learn from community leaders, and contribute to providing a superior visitor experience in Minneapolis.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role?
I’ve worked in hospitality in Minneapolis for many years which has given me a strong impression of our culture, and what makes us unique. Working in other Midwestern states has also provided additional perspective. I look forward to bringing a different context to our organization.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the destination for this year and further down the line?
There are several short-term and long-term goals that we can accomplish. Preparing for future sporting events coming to Minneapolis has tremendous upside for the city. The Final Four, Super Bowl, and X Games provide a great opportunity for Minneapolis to showcase all we have to offer on a national level.
4. How did you get into the industry?
I started working with Marriott while I was studying for an undergraduate degree in Hospitality and Tourism. 34 years later, after countless positons with Marriott in several cities, I can honestly say I have the best job in the best industry.
5. What do you enjoy most about the organization?
The very authentic collaboration between both public and private leaders for the betterment of Minneapolis.