These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to email@example.com.
Steve Faulstick was recently hired as the executive vice president of convention and international tourism sales for Travel Portland in Oregon.
1. What are you most looking forward to in your new role as the executive vice president, convention and international tourism sales for Travel Portland? Travel Portland’s marketing tagline says it all: Portland is Happening Now. The city has emerged as one of the hottest destinations in the U.S., and is poised for continued growth. I’m looking forward to working with our stakeholders to share Portland’s story with the world.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role? As a GM in Portland, I have always valued Travel Portland’s efforts to sell and market the city. Working on the hotel side for 30 years has given me a strong understanding of what is expected of a CVB in today’s economy. Portland is a collaborative city where the hoteliers, the convention center and the CVB all work closely together to create a thriving tourism environment, and I look forward to being on this side of the equation.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the organization for this year and farther down the line? We are enthusiastic about growing awareness and education around what this city has to offer. Portland is well-prepared for success in the short term, and I look forward to defining strategy for two, five and 10 years into the future.
4. How did you get into the industry? By accident, really, I needed a job to support myself in college when I moved to Medford, Ore., 30 years ago. The rest, as they say, is history!
5. What do you enjoy most about the organization? Travel Portland is a vibrant and forward-thinking organization that is strategic at all levels. The collaboration I mentioned earlier makes all of our jobs easier and creates continual optimism for the work with which we are charged.