Ward 6’s signature cocktail is representative of the east side of St. Paul—a cultural blend of Asian, Hispanic and European flavors. The ginger and cilantro combination came to co-owner Bob Parker in a moment of inspiration in the produce market at the Hmong Village. With ginger and cilantro muddled together, vodka as the base, St. Germain elderflower liqueur as a modifier, fresh lime juice to add some acidity, lychee juice for body and volume, and a thin sliver of jalapeño to garnish—you’ve got a real taste of St. Paul’s Ward 6.
—1 tsp. fresh ginger
—4-6 sprigs cilantro
—1.5 oz. vodka
—.75 oz. St. Germaine
—1 oz. fresh lime juice
—2 oz. lychee juice
—1 jalapeño slice
1. Muddle the ginger in a mixing glass, then add cilantro and muddle.
2. Add ice and vodka, St. Germaine and lime juice.
3. Shake and strain into chilled 8-oz. cocktail glass.
4. Top with cold lychee juice.
5. Garnish with a sliver-thin slice of jalapeño and a cilantro leaf.
COURTESY of WARD 6